MAUI: THE ROAD TO HANA
Distance: 60 miles from Kahului to Hana
What to Expect: Whoever said it’s the journey that matters must have taken this spectacular road trip into Maui’s lush countryside. Spy verdant rainforests, rushing waterfalls and the perfect coastline along this curvy, narrow road interspersed with more than 50 bridges.
- Slurp on a shave ice in Paia as you wander this artsy town with a hippie vibe and lots of little boutiques and eateries.
- Garden of Eden Arboretum and Botanical Garden, just past mile marker 10, is an oasis of indigenous flora that provided the opening scene in Jurassic Park.
- Stretch your legs on a walk to Wailua Falls, which splashes 80 feet down into a jungle of luscious green.
OAHU: THE WINDWARD COAST
Distance: 24 miles from Waikiki to Kailua Beach
What to Expect: Leave the glitz of Waikiki behind and head along Oahu’s southeast coast to famed Kailua Beach. Between stretches of verdant landscape along Route 72 and the Kalanianaole Highway, you’ll encounter funky beach towns and jaw-dropping beach views on this road trip.
- Just off Hanauma Bay, stop to see Halona Blowhole, a lava formation that casts sea spray as high as 30 feet into the air.
- The two-mile paved trail to Makapu‘u Point Lighthouse is well worth the detour to see the dramatic coastline and the island of Moloka‘i jutting up from the sea.
- Grab supplies for a picnic lunch at the quirky Kalapawai Market in Kailua before staking out on the creamy white sands of Kailua Beach for some quality windsurfer watching.